Sunday, May 06, 2007

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH MANNO SANON.

The team's first game was against Italy, finalists in 1970, and led by
goalkeeper Dino Zoff who had just completed 12 consecutive internationals
without conceding a goal.

"Everybody was asking who would beat Dino Zoff. The newspapers mentioned
European and South American players, but nobody thought a Haitian could do
it. That upset me because I knew I could do it."

The Haitian team surpassed all expectations by holding Italy to 0-0 in the
first half. Two minutes into the second half, Manno shocked everyone but
himself.

"With my pace, you can't leave me with just one defender, but that is what
happened. I was one-on-one with Spinosi. I received a pass from Phillipe
Vorbe. I beat the defender with my speed. One-on-one with Dino Zoff, and
the goal was wide open. I dummied to go left, and then went right. I
rounded him, and rolled the ball into the net."

No comments: